[Owasp-leaders] 60/40 Membership Drive @ OWASP

James Wickett jwickett at impactnews.com
Mon Dec 8 15:01:32 EST 2008

Let's assume that companies won't pay for an individual's membership
because it doesn't provide perceived value to the company.  This is a
pure business decision.  To say it this way; a person's company will
pay for him to be an ISSA member since it gets him into the meetings.
However they won't pay for an OWASP membership since it doesnt get him
any additional benefits.  We don't want to have closed meetings, so
one part of the equation that we could modify is price.

One way around this would be to lower the cost and assume that the
individual will be purchasing the membership.  Since the company is
getting the same value (in training) by paying or not paying, we
should assume that a prospective member will be shouldering the entire
cost by themselves.  In today's economy, it seems more realistic to
ask a person for $25 than to ask for a $100.  Maybe we could have a
member package that is $25 which includes membership, and a membership
package that is $100 which includes some goodies (tee shirt,
sticker...)

I am just wondering if the price is a big issue for folks.  Maybe I am
just cheap, but I think alot of people want to see the personal value
they receive and not the altruistic value when making a decision.  Or,
have the monetary cost be low enough that they don't have to think
twice about it.

Best,
James

----