[Owasp-leaders] 60/40 Membership Drive @ OWASP

Tom Brennan - OWASP tomb at owasp.org
Mon Dec 8 14:51:17 EST 2008

Perhaps clarification of the high level goals of why Global Committees were
formed is insightful for big picture thinkers, governance and a collective
rational

see:  <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Committee_Pages>
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Committee_Pages (updated today)

OWASP  Committees  (once fully staffed) are designed identify areas and
create solutions with goals & milestones.  As a collection of passionate
individuals that have been a project leader or chapter leader will be known
as "global committee members".  In addition these persons will provide a
conduit to regional issues and/or spokesman in a global association and they
will work with other global committees, local chapters, projects, program
managers and other owasp employees as required.

When these collective committee plans go from alpha to beta they will simply
reviewed at the scheduled board meeting and approved and published publicly
as a single document if they meet the ethics and principals published (
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP#Code_of_Ethics>
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP#Code_of_Ethics ) and mission  of
OWASP Foundation "Our mission is to make application security "visible" so
that people and organizations can make informed decisions about application
security risks." that will also include our annual report.

When these forward thinking focused task plans are combined, it will equal a
written "business plan" to execute against and as the measurement of success
or decline in meeting our collective goals as an association - that should
remain fun in our spare time... this is a volunteer run organization after
all

Sorry for the brain dump, but wanted to clarify the Global Committee goals
have had lots of questions on purpose and goal - I encourage you to visit:
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Committee_Pages>
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Committee_Pages   to join the topic
mailing list  and set-up managed by the people that have taken the
responsibility of volunteerism for doing the heavy lifting.  If you have
some constructive ideas, please join on the appropriate focused list to
discuss and offer your TIME if you have some cycles to spare.

*** Note I think many of you would agree, that global issues are typically
the  same global issues that our local chapters are working on locally... so
if you have solved something locally add content to
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Chapter_Leader_Handbook>
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Chapter_Leader_Handbook to help others and
get involved.... if you are ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD and have the cycles "get
in the soccer game"(Portugal reference
http://challey.com/2008_11_Portugal/Portugal_Soccer.jpg ) and help out a
global group with the mission.

-Brennan