[Owasp-leaders] Let's not lose Sarah Baso too (22.5k USD needed)

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Thu Apr 8 09:40:11 EDT 2004

+1

I like to support Martin's statement here.

Going forward with our organisation we need to be very clear in avoiding
favourtism or any perception of it. So giving a contract for USD45.000
per year to a person must be done following due process and an objective
selection process by the board. And furthermore with all due respect, I
also like to point out that this amount is no little money for OWASP,
nor for any qualified candidate.

We also should separate the two independent issues and discuss them
individually:
1. Do we need/want to hire a permanent FTE resource (instead of contract
work) to assist with the operation of OWASP and how much money do we
want to and can invest in that?
2. Who would be the best person for the task?

I can imagine to allocate a budget for this depending on advice and
judgement from the board. Though in my personal opinion, I think due to
the nature of the work, seasonally varying workloads and our
organisation, a contractor would be better suited for us than a FTE.
However, in either case, if we allocate such a budget we must use a
proper and open hiring process and actually be very careful to avoid any
misconduct. I.e. the process should result in a set of good viable
candidates to choose from. Even the perception of possible favourtism
should be avoided if at all possible. From that point of view, if a
candidate would be related to OWASP leaders in any way should actually
rather be seen as a disadvantage instead of an advantage, as it could
cast doubt by outsiders on our ability to conduct a professional and
fair selection process.

Best regards, Tobias

Ps.: btw. as a remark: it can be seen as rather problematic to raise the
question of the employment of any person/candidate with that candidate
reading and taking part in the whole communication (as is the case with
Sarah on the leaders list). E.g. in my organisation this would open all
kinds of legal problems and be seen as a fundamentally unprofessional
hiring process.