[OWASP-LEADERS] RE: License question

Mark Curphey mark at curphey.com
Fri Nov 28 20:38:26 EST 2003

Lots of interesting stuff and opinions about licensing.

As you know I have two main things I care about with this stuff.

1. Copyright is owned by no-one i.e. FSF so that copyright holder can not
reassign the license to a commercial version and make money from
contributors hard work. This promotes people contributing without the fear
that they maybe contributing to someone elses intellectual property bank.

2. The work can't be used by people to sell for money or closed.

For this reason we discounted the Apache license and some other OSI approved
licenses earlier in the process. However I am very open if everyone wants to
vote on a process to change our licensing to code, although I am not sure we
are even allowed to do that on existing code as it was Copyrighted to the
FSF.

So we have a champion for this or shall we cruise along as we are for now ?

  _____

To:owasp at owasp.org

Hi,

I believe I have a firm grasp of the GPL license as it pertains to software
itself, however in this case, if we were to use oPortal, could custom
portlets that we create have to be released under GPL? Would a site that
uses oPortal come under GPL?

Thanks,
Aral

--