[OWASP-LEADERS] RE: License question

Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg) rdawes at deloitte.co.za
Fri Nov 28 11:11:49 EST 2003

the other thing is that the GPL only comes into play when you actually
distribute something.

If you only use it in house, and never distribute, there is no requirement
to release source at all. This has led to numerous discussions especially in
the context of web applications, which are NOT actually distributed. (IMO)

Rogan

To: owasp at owasp.org

Hi,

I believe I have a firm grasp of the GPL license as it pertains to software
itself, however in this case, if we were to use oPortal, could custom
portlets that we create have to be released under GPL? Would a site that
uses oPortal come under GPL?

Thanks,
Aral

--

  Managing Director.. Bits & Pixels     : www.BitsAndPixels.co.uk

  Dir. Ed. Content... Ultrashock        : www.Ultrashock.com

  Author............. Friends of ED     : www.FriendsOfEd.com
                      Macromedia DevNet : www.macromedia.com/devnet

  Director........... London MMUG       : www.mmug.co.uk

Important Notice: This email is subject to important restrictions, qualifications and disclaimers ("the Disclaimer") that must be accessed and read by clicking here or by copying and pasting the following address into your Internet browser's address bar: http://www.Deloitte.co.za/Disc.htm. The Disclaimer is deemed to form part of the content of this email in terms of Section 11 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 25 of 2002. If you cannot access the Disclaimer, please obtain a copy thereof from us by sending an email to ClientServiceCentre at Deloitte.co.za.