[OWASP-LEADERS] RE: License question

Adrian Wiesmann awiesmann at swordlord.org
Fri Nov 28 09:56:12 EST 2003

Hi list (intentionally not replied to questioner)

> I am not a licensing expert but I know we have some people on the
> project who are pretty well up on this sort of thing. Guys, any comments
> ?

Jeps, first of all:

GPL is said to be most probably not enforceable in Europe or at least
Germany/CH. There are some paragraphs which are not permitted by local
law. For details I would have to run through some memos...

> I believe I have a firm grasp of the GPL license as it pertains to
> software itself, however in this case, if we were to use oPortal, could
> custom portlets that we create have to be released under GPL? Would a
> site that uses oPortal come under GPL?

It depends on if you use the GPL'd software as linked libraries or via
another form (Shellscript et al).

Have a look at this here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLIncompatibleAlone

I would say it is a question of discussion if the portlets they do are
linked into the oPortal or not. So probably the portlets fall under the
GPL, while the whole site does definitely not.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to cross licence the oPortal as GPL and
LGPL.

Adrian