[OWASP-LEADERS] RE: Java App Server Config Guides

Alex Russell alex at netWindows.org
Mon Jan 27 19:26:37 EST 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 16:56, Andrew van der Stock wrote:
> It's all text, so it's easily converted to XML, like I have at home.
>
> As I've not had much success building either the guide or the
> transplanted J2EE book, I can't easily see the results. I've since got
> SFU 3.0, which incorporates a real POSIX subsystem rather than just
> cygwin, I might have better luck.

posix is a joke, and a sick one at that. I seriously doubt you'll have
better luck with SFU than with cygwin.

> Does *anyone* build the guide under win32 _at all_? Care to give hints?

I don't build the guide on win32, but I do use saxon, so the platform
shouldn't matter.

Here are the steps I use to get a good build of the guide:

1.) make a CVS checkout of the Guide
2.) grab a copy of Norm Walsh's XSLT style sheets
(http://docbook.sourceforge.net/projects/xsl/index.html)
3.) unzip/untar them into /guide/docbook/xsl/
4.) grab the DTD files
(http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbook-xml-4.2.zip)
5.) unzip them into /guide/docbook/dtd
6.) from the guide CVS dir, build your desired target using Saxon.

Here's what my command line look like on Linux when building the single-file
HTML version:

java -jar saxon/saxon7.jar -o out.html book.xml docbook/xsl/html/docbook.xsl

as you might have guessed, I've got the saxon jar in a subdir of my /guide
directory, but you can reasonably have it anywhere. To generate PDF output,
I use the FO style sheets and then run the result through FOP (which you
can grab from the apache project).

Potential gotchas:

1.) in book.xml, make sure the DTD points to your local copy of the DTD,
e.g.:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
                "docbook/dtd/docbookx.dtd" [

2.) you'll need Java 1.4 for Saxon 7

Let me know if you have problems with any of this, as it should all function
more-or-less correctly with only minor modifications on win32 (and without
any modifications on cygwin).

HTH

--
Alex Russell