[OWASP-LEADERS] New Member and 1st step to getting more organized

Manavendra Gupta manavendrak at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 20:11:17 EST 2003

Hello All,

Its a pleasure to be a part of the community. As we move forward, I hope
this turns out to be a fulfilling relationship for all.

The list that Mark reproduced in his email was, at best, partial. I have
seen more cumbersome checklists and 'standards' and 'guidelines' in
commercial projects (especially those where the companies are under SQA
reviews), but I've always tried to cut down the documentation to the bare
minimum. Its not an easy task to document, and each written statement
usually leaves scope for multiple interpretations.

What I propose is, to build a set of guidelines, or HOW-TOs that will help
newcomers (at the least), at each aspect of the coding process, and provide
them with a ready-reckoner for each step, so that when the work packet is
finally released, it looks and behaves exactly like other work packets,
irrespective of the complexity and size, color of skin, etc.

I might remove or add items from this list. Before I do that, I will provide
a schedule for each of these documents. But I need to first know the current
process(es) being followed (or the lack of them). I'd also love to get in
touch with at least a couple of development teams to understand how they
have been doing so far, what are actions being taken at different stages,
what would be the closest corrective action to bridge the gap across teams,
the optimal number and depth of steps for each aspect, etc.

So, what do the leaders think? Please pour in your ideas. Meanwhile, I'll
bounce the schedule off Mark first, and henceforth will interact with the
leaders directly (assuming that's the mechanism of interaction).

Cheers,
Manav.