[OWASP-LEADERS] Food for thought - Web Browser compatibility

Alex Russell alex at securepipe.com
Tue Apr 8 11:17:46 EDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, David Raphael wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> First off - what Web Browser does everyone use here? Please list
> Version as well.

Konqueror 3.x
Mozilla 1.3.x
Opera 7

(all on Linux, and in that order in terms of frequency)

> Additionally,
>
> I have been gathering some statistics on Web Browser distibution.  Here
> is what I found
>
> http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm
>
> I have also seen other statistics.  But the main issue is old Netscape
> support.

I'm of the opinion that we should design degradeably, so that our
content is accessable, but that explicitly trying to support browsers
that understand nothing but tag soup is not only endangers our ability
to write standards compliant code, but also holds the web back.

I say go nuts with CSS and NN4 be damned. However, given that approach,
I don't think we should be doing things like using tables for layout,
etc...

--
Alex Russell
alex at SecurePipe.com