[OWASP-LEADERS] Re: [OWASP-FILTERS] filters module created in CVS

Alex Russell alex at netWindows.org
Wed Oct 30 19:57:08 EST 2002

> You are very right with the motto:
> "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
> But sometimes you spare lots of rewriting if you just keep out some
> of the worse things right from the start...

If there's a test case that shows a need for it, we'll do it. If you've got
such a test handy, it'd be good to know.

 Until then, we'll implement what we need to get the prototype functional.
If at some later point we find that the built-in character class conversion
doesn't work, we'll deal with it then. I'm not saying that it's not a good
idea, but I'm saying that I think that some other things have higher
priority for the filters team right now.

> Anyway, the only thing I really care about for the moment is that the
> subpackages come in a fairly uniform structure. It would be great, if our
> "users" could rely upon a uniform package tree structure.
> Maybe we could agree upon some basics?

good plan.

> My proposal for this is appended in the file PACKAGING
> (shipped under ocl/doc/ too)
>
> For the src/ subdir I propose the following additions:
> If a project only contains one programming language, then the sourcefile
> are placed directly under the src/ subdir.
> If a project contains multiple languages, it should provide one subdir
> for each language, e.g. src/java src/c src/pl etc.pp.
> The source for Documentation should go to
> src/doc

hrm. sounds reasonable. On the downside, I'm going to have to restructure
the CVS module I just created (doh!). I suppose I should read the project
docs before I go do stuff, huh? = )

> Regarding idmef I browsed through the filters mail archive.
> The only thing I discovered is that there was not really much discussion
> about the idmef stuff... So I guess we just forget about it and do not
> port it to the SF owasp project?

IDMEF support is dead for the forseeable future. All new/current filters
code will be located in the filters/ package directory under the main owasp
project site on SF. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

--
Alex Russell
alex at SecurePipe.com