[Owasp-italy] Fwd: [Owasp-leaders] Fwd: BETA Release of OWASP LiveCD ready for testing!!!!!

Matteo Meucci matteo.meucci at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 09:39:24 EST 2007

FYI

Buon divertimento!

Mat

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joshua Perrymon <josh at packetfocus.com>
Date: 14-Jan-2007 21:48
Subject: BETA Release of OWASP LiveCD ready for testing!!!!!
To: owasp-livecd at lists.owasp.org
Cc: Eoin <eoinkeary at gmail.com >

named "LabRat" and is part of the OWASP Autumn of Code sponsorship.
The distro is focused on providing all of OWASP tools and documents on
a bootable CD. The goal is to have a portable distro that can be used
by professional penetration testers,security admins, Students, or
anyone interested in computer security to perform work,training, or
research. All you have to do is burn the .ISO to DVD or start under
Vmware/Virtual PC and you will have a full Linux desktop environment
loaded with OWASP tools and documents.Another instant advantage is
that the CD can be distributed within testing teams and new hires to
ensure everyone has the same tools without spending a week setting up
a laptop. Same scenario applies for students learning computer
security. The CD contains the WebGoat application designed for
learning about application vulnerabilities utilizing easy to follow
lessons.( Version 5 will be included this month)

Details:
I finally got back from holidays and spent the weekend to finish up
the BETA version of the CD. It's quite large right now weighing in at
802mb so it's just big enough to use a DVD and not a CD. This will be
much smaller once the first round of testing has been completed. The
current release v08 seems to be fairly stable and works on most
platforms I have tested on. When the CD boots up you will notice that
all the OWASP tools and docs have icons on the desktop and can also be
found in the programs menu. What I tried to do was follow the current
OWASP  naming convention -Releases, Beta, and Alpha.This keeps
everything organized and also helps adding new tools and documents.

Issues:
The CD is stable but I'm not having problems starting WebGoat v4 again
for some reason. I had this working all weekend and on several
versions I made yesterday- However, when I burned the final Beta
version it stopped for some reason. ( I may have corrupted a
permission or something when I was chrooted back into the filesystem.)

What's Next?
I have not added tools yet other than OWASP docs and tools. Once the
OWASP material is added and verified the specialty tools such as VOIP,
RFID, and Wireless will be added.

BETA TESTERS:
We encourage everyone to download the .ISO and give us feedback on
what we can do to make it better. Also, what tools or docs would you
like to have on the CD? The URL to the mailing list is
owasp-livecd at lists.owasp.org  . I can also be contacted directly -
livecd at packetfocus.com

Download:
The distro can be downloaded from the PacketFocus website (
http://packetfocus.com/hackos/AOC_Labrat-ALPHA-0008.iso) ((800mb))
After you download it just burn it to a DVD or use something like
Vmware server to try it out. Vmware is a free download now (
www.vmware.com)

This project was sponsored by OWASP Autumn of Code 2006.

Joshua Perrymon- CE|H,OPST,OPSA,ISECOM Trainer
Hacking Director
PacketFocus Security Solutions

Email: josh at packetfocus.com
Skype: packetfocus
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/packetfocus
Office: Sydney, Australia
Tel:(61)02 8005 1420
Office: Birmingham, Alabama
Tel:(1)205 383 4820

LEGAL CONFIDENTIAL: The information in this e-mail and in any
attachment may contain information which is legally privileged. It is
intended only for the attention and use of the named recipient. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to retain,
disclose, copy or distribute the message and/or any of its
attachments. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify me
and delete this message. Thank-you.

--
Eoin Keary OWASP - Ireland
http://www.owasp.org/local/ireland.html