[Owasp-ireland] The Verizon 2012 Data Breach Investigations Report is out!

Alexis FitzGerald alexis at rits.ie
Fri Mar 23 12:51:56 UTC 2012

According to:

  * https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2010:

The OWASP Top 10 "presents a more concise risk focused list of the Top
10 Most Critical Web Application Security Risks."
It's about risk - not just "discovered vulnerabiities"

A simple definition of risk is:
    risk= likelihood * impact

If you accept the DBIR evidence, then the likelihood of XSS must be low
(since it is not even mentioned), therefore the risk from XSS is
correspondingly low (eventhough it is commonly found)

The question then arises does the OWASP list of "Top 10 Most Critical
Web Application Security Risks" rate XSS too high?

Alexis