[Owasp-ireland] The Verizon 2012 Data Breach Investigations Report is out!

David Rook david.rook at realexpayments.com
Fri Mar 23 08:58:26 UTC 2012

Hi Eoin,

Yep it can do but how malware was installed was included in the report
as well and XSS is going to account for very few of those infections I
think. According to the report 95% of all malware used in those data
breaches was installed after the attacker got access to the system, at
best I think only around 3% of the malware used in data breaches came
from web app vulns being exploited (2% "injected by attacker" and 1%
"drive by web attacks").

It could be that the malware installed via an XSS exploit is part of the
95% but if it was a significant chunk of that I'd have expected it to be
called out in the report.

I could be reading that part of the report wrong though :)

Dave