[Owasp-ireland] The Verizon 2012 Data Breach Investigations Report is out!

David Rook david.rook at realexpayments.com
Thu Mar 22 15:47:54 UTC 2012

Hi Fabio,

What I found interesting is that of the vectors included in the hacking
category 90% of the breaches were because of non app sec issues! I was a
bit surprised by that and it is very different when the report focuses
on "large" organisations (54%) but it does provide a strong argument for
app sec v non app sec spend *not *being equal.

Sure app sec spend needs to increase but using the evidence presented in
this report (and I acknowledge it's not the complete picture of course)
it's a tough sell to convince people that app sec spend should be equal
to or more than non app sec spend.

Veracode published a blog which pulled out the app sec "highlights":

http://www.veracode.com/blog/2012/03/verizon-data-breach-investigative-report-2012-application-security-specific-highlights/

Dave

--
David Rook
Application Security Lead

Connect with us:
http://www.twitter.com/securityninja
http://www.twitter.com/realexpayments
http://www.facebook.com/realexpayments
http://www.linkedin.com/company/realex-payments
http://www.youtube.com/realexpayments

Realex Payments Dublin:
t: +353 (0)1 2808559 | f: +353 (0)1 2808538  | http://www.realexpayments.com

Realex Payments London:
t: +44 (0)20 3178 5370 | f: +44 (0)20 7691 7264  | http://www.realexpayments.co.uk

Realex Payments Paris:
t: +33 (0)1 70 38 51 37  | f: +33 (0)1 70 38 51 51 | http://www.realexpayments.fr

Pay and Shop Limited, trading as Realex Payments has its registered office at Castlecourt, Monkstown Farm, Monkstown, Co. Dublin, Ireland and is registered in Ireland, company number 324929.
This mail and any documents attached are classified as confidential and are intended for use by the addressee(s) only unless otherwise indicated. If you are not an intended recipient of this email, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete all copies of this email from your computer system(s).