[Owasp-ireland] CISSP

Browne, Mary (GE, Corporate) mary.browne at ge.com
Tue Aug 25 07:39:29 EDT 2009

Hi Eoin,

I am a CISSP, certified in August 2007.

It is interesting that you brought up such a subject at this point as I
frantically struggle to maintain my annual CPE's (I don't suppose you
fancy having 6 hours worth of chapter meetings in the next 7 days?) I am
beginning to rethink the merits of actually maintaining the
certification.

At this stage 80% of my CPEs are from podcasts. So for my AMF's what
does ISC2 do for me?

According to its official website:

"In a world full of security threats, the need for skilled,
knowledgeable information security professionals has never been
greater..... Certification by a respected accreditation organization is
becoming indispensable to the information security professional. .....
credentialed practitioners have a higher earning potential, as well as
greatly expanded career opportunities. "

Is there a market for CISSPs? A quick search for the key word in Irish
Jobs returns 5 hits. The same search for 'Business Analyst' returns 5949
hits.

Late last year while job hunting the only 'CISSP desirable but not
essential' role I was offered was as a glorified DBA with a not very
glorified salary.

So the cycle continues, I take the Project Management and Business
Analyst roles moving further and further away from gaining the 'Industry
Experience' required for a CISSP aligned Security role, and practice IT
Security in my 'spare time' to retain my certification.

Any arguments in favour of the CISSP as a career advancing certification
would be greatly welcome!

Regards,

Mary