[Owasp-ireland] [Owasp-codereview] Potential of 4.2 million credit card details stolen via cyber attack.

Eoin eoin.keary at owasp.org
Wed Mar 26 06:08:48 EDT 2008

Re OWASP Top 10 compliant we, OWASP have a big issue here as many of the
vendors of scanning tools have an "OWASP Top 10" rule base that can be used.
OWASP have not been consulted on this to my knowledge so if one runs this
rule base and it comes up with no issues they can say they are OWASP Top 10
compliant. - plain silly IMHO

Also "Develop all web applications based on secure coding guidelines such as
the Open Web Application Security Project guidelines." - Sure they can do
that and say they do seen as OWASP does not have verification or
certification criteria. Who's to say they are not doing this, We have the
OWASP guides, dev, test and review but no certification.

Also one can be compliant and certified as such, next day not be compliant
but certified as compliant for the next 3 months until the next audit.

Expiration date & PAN are allowed to be stored (is a secure manner) but it
seems that the data was intercepted in transit (correct me if I am wrong).
Re storing CC numbers (PANS) many large popular store such numbers such as
Amazon.com, Play.com etc to "enhance the customer experience" and let the
customer purchase via 1-click.

--
Eoin Keary OWASP - Ireland
http://www.owasp.org/local/ireland.html