[OWASP-Ireland] Escalating war with spammers:

Tony Palmer tony.palmer at vordel.com
Mon May 22 07:08:00 EDT 2006

Well there are three courses of action that I can see.

1. We continue with spam filters and legal threats. The business value of
email decreases to the point where it is not used, and other technologies
will take over. Already companies are looking at things like IM to
communicate with less noise. But that just opens up another target.

2. Strengthen authentication for mail. ISP's should refuse to route mail
that cannot be traced to its point of origin. There are moves in this
direction as mentioned already but I'm not sure that they will gain
universal acceptance. e.g PKI, make sure all mail is signed by your outgoing
mail server. It would be easy to delegate trust to certain CA's. I know all
the problems with PKI but at the very least all that RSA verification will
slow down the throughput, DOS by crypto?  ;-)

3. Something else?