[OWASP-Ireland] MD5 fallout

Chris Madden chris.madden at trintech.com
Thu Aug 11 09:40:16 EDT 2005

I seem to remember something about a recent court case in Ireland that
mandated speed cameras produce a printout of the speeding offence details
i.e. a paper trail as best evidence.

If so, I think this loophole is covered :-(

Speeding being a criminal (as opposed to civil) offence requires evidence to
be beyond "a reasonable doubt".

I would have thought that MD5 hashes even with current weaknesses were
beyond "a reasonable doubt" myself.

But then, lawyers often cast doubt on electronic evidence in general when it
suits.

Chris

  _____

On 11 Aug 2005, at 14:53, Eoin.Keary at allianz.ie
<mailto:Eoin.Keary at allianz.ie>  wrote:

I wonder if the same goes for here in Ireland?
MD5 and chain of custody of  evidence for the speeding offence?

Maybe I can get rid of those two pesky points?

Eoin Keary
Contractor
Allianz Ireland
IT Security (Tech Admin)
Security Projects Division
Dir: + 353-1-613-3490
Mob: + 353-87-904-1922
Mailto:eoin.keary at allianz.ie <Mailto:eoin.keary at allianz.ie>
Ph  01 6133490

"Tony Palmer" <tony.palmer at vordel.com <mailto:tony.palmer at vordel.com> >
Sent by: owasp-ireland-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
<mailto:owasp-ireland-admin at lists.sourceforge.net>

08/11/2005 12:40 PM

<OWASP-Ireland at lists.sourceforge.net
<mailto:OWASP-Ireland at lists.sourceforge.net> >

cc

Subject

[OWASP-Ireland] MD5 fallout

A researcher breaks MD5 in China,and a guy dodges a speeding ticket in
Australia.

 <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/11/oz_speed_camera_case/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/11/oz_speed_camera_case/

Anthony Palmer
Senior Solution Architect
Mob: (GSM)+353-87-9380331

Vordel - XML Web Services security
 <http://www.vordel.com/> http://www.vordel.com/
Boston, MA, USA Tel:+1-617-848 0974
Dublin, Ireland, EMEA Tel: +353-1-603 1700

This e-mail is business-confidential and may be privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete it. If the
email does not relate to Vordel's business then it is neither from nor
authorized by Vordel. Thank you.

**
contact the Helpdesk at 3955.
***

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Allianz Ireland p.l.c. and Allianz Corporate Ireland p.l.c. are companies of
the Allianz Group, Europe's leading global insurer and provider of financial
services.
For more information on our products and services log on to www.allianz.ie
<http://www.allianz.ie>  or call us on (01)613 3000.

taking of any action or reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from your computer.

Allianz Ireland p.l.c. trading as Allianz is regulated by the Irish
Financial Services Regulatory Authority (IFSRA).
Allianz Corporate Ireland p.l.c. trading as Allianz is regulated by the
Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority (IFSRA).
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx