[owasp-intrinsic-security] [Owasp-leaders] Web application framework security comparison

Ivan Ristic ivan.ristic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 06:35:36 EST 2009

This is the single most useful document I have seen in years.

Some random comments and thoughts:

- Some of the features need explanations.

- I think the word you are looking for (to use in this document) is
"platform". J2EE, .Net, PHP and the others listed are all platforms.

- URL-based XSS detection is a hack. It's blacklisting and, as such,
not something I would like to see in any platform (or framework). If
we start to put things like that into standards then we will be
telling people that's the way to handle security. But it isn't. It's a
crutch.

- In the XSS section I would like to see something like: "A way to
build HTML pages securely" (perhaps some of you will be able to come
up with a better name). Wicket is the only framework I have seen that
is secure by default: it forces you to create output in such a way
that you don't have to think about escaping yet you're secure. (Of
course, there are plenty of ways to shoot yourself in the foot and
create e.g. DOM XSS vulnerabilities, but those are out of its scope.)

- Perhaps you should add "Encryption APIs" to the list.

- All platforms today lack something I would call "Resource
utilisation API", which would be used to map the actions of users (and
IP addresses if users are not known) to system resources, with the
goal to prevent denial of service attacks.

- I would also like to see APIs that would allow web applications to
perform with user privileges. For example, as the first thing in the
processing of any request you determine which user is asking you to do
something, then practically execute a "su" to that account and drop
all other privileges.

--
Ivan Ristic