[owasp-intrinsic-security] [Owasp-leaders] Web application framework security comparison

Jim Manico jim.manico at aspectsecurity.com
Thu Jan 29 16:21:15 EST 2009

I would also like to point on the difference between a language, framework and management system (only because I see them used interchangably so much).

A language is PHP.
A framework would be something like Cake or Zend.
But then we have entire content management systems like Drupal that are just as popular (if not more so) than the frameworks. Management systems let the layperson deploy large software systems without any custom programming - this is the key diferentiator.

There is no reason that Drupal could not have been written on top of Cake on top of PHP. Some folks are also building Drupal on top of Python frameworks.  And some of the Anti-Patterns/Security Bugs migrate from the management system to other languages/frameworks as they are ported.
--
Jim Manico, Senior Application Security Engineer
jim.manico at aspectsecurity.com
(301) 604-4882 (work)
(808) 652-3805 (cell)

Aspect Security(tm)
Securing your applications at the source
http://www.aspectsecurity.com