[OWASP-IBWAS10] [Owasp-portuguese] Fwd: [Owasp-leaders] Creating OWASP 4.0!

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Wed Dec 8 19:09:49 EST 2010

All,

For your information, I’ve made a couple of edits on the IBWAS10 wiki page.

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_IBWAS10

Carlos,

We need to write a press release down as soon as possible. Could you please
give me a heads-up so that we can speak about it?

Thanks,

- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra,

 <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Paulo_Coimbra> OWASP Project Manager

From: "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams at owasp.org>

Date: 8 de Dezembro de 2010 04:36:49 WET

To: <owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>

Subject: [Owasp-leaders] Creating OWASP 4.0!

Hi everyone,

In my mind, OWASP 1.0 was pre-wiki with lots of great work and a less great
infrastructure.  OWASP 2.0 was establishing the 501c3, putting in the wiki,
and getting lots of great projects started. OWASP 3.0 started with the
Summit in Portugal when we created the new committees and has focused on
creating thriving projects instead of standalone tools.  Thank you for all
of your efforts growing a fun, civil, productive community.

I reach out to you now to ask you to take some time and think about what
OWASP should become.  The time has come to measure our success not by the
number of members, projects, and conferences, but by whether we are
succeeding at making the world’s software more secure. It’s time to get our
message and strategy to the next level.

HELP DESIGN OWASP 4.0 IN PORTUGAL AT THE SUMMIT!

If you consider yourself an OWASP Leader, won’t you take a few minutes of
quiet time and propose a few ideas for how OWASP can retool, reorganize,
refocus, and revamp itself to really achieve our mission?  We will rip, mix,
and burn these ideas into a new strategy for OWASP at the Portugal Summit.
I encourage you to check out the resort and all the plans happening right
now at http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011.

Here are some ideas to get you started.

·        We bootstrap several application security ecosystems around key
technologies like mobile, cloud, REST

·        We reach out to governments around the world to help them push for
application security

·        We raise money to fund real security enhancements to tools,
browsers, protocols (e.g. OpenSSL)

·        We make the OWASP materials more usable by providing a “user” site
and keep the wiki for development

·        We invest in marketing AppSec – How do we scale David Rice and the
“greening” of AppSec

·        We continue our education initiative – academies, college chapters,
videos, curriculum

·        We continue our browser initiative and do whatever it takes to get
the browsers and frameworks talking

·        We invest in getting in front of new technologies like HTML5

·        We launch a no-holds barred XSS eradication campaign

·        We create a set of objective AppSec *market* metrics that quantify
the state of our art

·        We continue to push on creating standards

We need your ideas NOW.  Get yourself on the list!

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011#tab=Summit_Attendees

In one week of thinking, arguing, coding, hacking, and writing we are going
to accomplish more than the rest of the world’s appsec efforts combined.
We’ll see you in Portugal ready to rock.  Thanks!

--Jeff

--

Carlos Serrão

ISCTE-IUL/ISTA/DCTI | ADETTI-IUL/NetMuST | PT.OWASP