[Owasp-hackademic-challenges] GSoC 2015 Ideas

Spyros spyros.gasteratos at owasp.org
Sat Feb 14 12:23:14 UTC 2015

Hi Anirudh

On 12.02.2015 20:31, Anirudh Anand wrote:
> Hello Spyros,
>
> Nice project ideas out there. Here is my suggestion and an idea about the
> same:
>
> One issue I have noticed with Hackademic is that the challenges are not in
> the order of difficulty. Since our basic aim is to make the students learn
> and understand the concepts of web application security, I think arranging
> the challenges in the order of difficulty is really important. Since we
> have over 100+ new challenges with the last year GSoC, then one new project
> idea can be to write unit tests (if you haven't completed) for the same and
> also to arrange the challenges in the difficulty order such that students
> can get the most out of it.

Unit tests, although necessary, it's something we should do (we == the
people already contributing). We know the project inside out and it's
not really fair for the student to have them do our dirty work.

About the order of the challenges, I think you can order them any way
you like, so far we've ordered them by their name because that's how the
old Hackademic challenges were ordered.
As far as I know it doesn't represent any particular suggestion.

> The reason why I suggest this is because I use Hackademic for teaching the
> very basics of webappsec to my juniors and most of them gave up in the
> first question itself because the first question was very difficult for
> them.

Thanks for using the project :-)
I see, then what we need is to have all the challenges in the db
installed but not enabled, so the teacher can enable the challenges they
want in the order they like.
(Also custom ordering challenges if we don't already have this, and
better names for the 10 first challenges).

Can you go ahead and open tickets for these please?
(custom ordering challenges,
a screen at the start to enable challenges,
identifying names for the 10 first challenges
)
if you could contribute code for a couple of these tickets too, it would
be great.

  We should also add some basic questions (may be relating to HTTP
> requests or similar) first and then gradually increment the difficulty
> order to get the most out of this. IMHO this would be a nice idea.
>
> Also, can the template designing could be considered as an entire GSoC
> project ?. IMHO it can be combined with Gamification project?

Yes it can, in fact, last year they were a single project but people got
scared and nobody picked it up that's why I separated them.
But if you can confidently submit a proposal for a combo project like
this it's great.