[Owasp-hackademic-challenges] GSoC2012

Konstantinos Papapanagiotou Konstantinos at owasp.org
Mon Apr 2 07:08:55 UTC 2012

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your interest in Hackademic Challenges. I saw that you
have already submitted a draft of your proposal.

We know that the solutions to the challenges are hard-coded and we
have discussed this issue quite a lot. One of the reasons for this is
that each challenge needs to have a definitive, deterministic
solution. Since Hackademic is used in a classroom environment we want
to be able to control the solutions as much as possible, ie we don't
want every student to be able to come up with a different solution, or
even worse a by-pass. Of course this also sets a lot of limitations.
Anyway, my point is that if we want to introduce solutions based on
regex we need to be very careful as to what we accept as a correct
solution, which requires a lot of brainstorming, work and testing.
Thus, I would propose to focus your proposal on this project rather
than also developing new challenges.
If you still feel that you would like to contribute with new
challenges as well, try to elaborate a bit more on your proposal,
explaining what ideas you have for the new challenges.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with me should you need any further assistance.

Good luck,
Kostas