[Owasp-guide] Proposal and discussion of draft Developer Guide2013 ToC

Juan C Calderon johnccr at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 18:59:55 UTC 2012

I see Classic ASP can be comparable to PHP in terms of security, there is nothing really built up, but you have to build it yourself or plug in a third party framework/Filter/ISAPI/COM/ActiveX, etc..

ASP.NET is very different to classic ASP. specially from framework 1.1 and above.

I think what is more confusing in Classic ASP is that you can mix multiple contexts, for example, in my own training I explain a page is interpreted in 4 stages:

1. First for Server Side Inclusions, where code in "include" tags is added to main page on the fly (not interpreted yet)
2. Then Server side VBScript code is executed, generating a HTML file (Page is then served here)
3. HTML code is rendered in Browser

4. Javascript code is executed.on Browser

Once you know this you can avoid a lot of problems that might lead to data disclosure, logic issues and other problems.

Let me mention a few errors I have seen in the past.

- A piece of code like the following might look OK but will never work

<!--  #include file="page<%= PageId %>.inc"-->

- HTML comments here do not prevent execution of server side code (and thus disclose data)
<!--
    <%= MySecret %>

-->

- Or mixing server vs client side contexts (option explicit set to off) you will always be an admin here

<script language="JavaScript">
var role = 1;

    <%
        if role = 0 then
            response.write "You are admin"

        else
            response.write "You are NOT admin"
        end if

    %>
</script>

So not sure how all this is going to fit on the guide, but I think we can look for the right spot once it starts taking shape.

Regards,
Juan Carlos

________________________________
To: Andrew van der Stock ; owasp-guide at lists.owasp.org
Cc: Dave Wichers ; projects at owasp.org ; Eoin
Keary
Subject: Re: [Owasp-guide] Proposal and discussion of draft
Developer Guide2013 ToC
  Wow very large and ambitious TOC. I am willing to start writing those
Classic ASP samples. Also I can start organizing the translation to Spanish as
soon as the guide starts taking shape.

Regards,
Juan Carlos

 From: Andrew van der Stock