[Owasp-guide] Proposal and discussion of draft Developer Guide 2013ToC

Tim Kulp timkulp at live.com
Fri May 11 04:17:14 UTC 2012

Hello,

I really like the idea of targeting educational institutions with this guide. I would also like to volunteer for the Education and Training section of the guide. My graduate thesis was on building a secure development program via e-learning so I have some already existing lessons that I could draw on. I also have set up security trainings with multiple organizations so I think I could really offer a realistic approach to how to implement training in corporate when there is no money and little management support. Other sections I would like to contribute to would be Common Business Use Cases and security architecture. I figure I would be available to assist with those and if we do not have any takers I would like to pursue those with a partner.

Also, in the Common Business Use Cases, I did not see mashup applications listed. Are we lumping those in somewhere else? I think those would be a great addition to that section as security and mashup do not always go hand in hand.

As for a title, I like OWASP Developer Guide 2013. I feel that versions get out of control and what makes them different seems arcane at times. What makes it v3 vs. v4 vs. v3.12.21, etc... I think using OWASP Developer Guide 2013 really tells the reader where it is in the timeline of development. I also like that when people read it in five years and see our great thoughts they say “Wow, these people were thinking this way back when...”. As we update the guide, clarify, update, etc... then I say we have releases. So OWASP Developer Guide 2013 rel. 1.

Just my thoughts.

I look forward to getting some writing going!!!

Tim Kulp