[Owasp-guide] Getting Started (again)

Ken Owen kenowen at eowen.com
Wed May 5 15:52:52 EDT 2010

Mike

I have written a new page, however, the wiki will not accept my update.
It says:

> While you were viewing or updating GettingStarted_InjectingSecurity_1, another user submitted an update to it. That user's update has already taken effect. Your update cannot be saved because your changes could overwrite the other user's changes.
>
> Note: if you have been viewing and updating GettingStarted_InjectingSecurity_1 in multiple browser windows or tabs, it is possible that the "other user" is actually yourself.

I was the last person to update the page (yesterday). There are no other
browser windows and my machine has been shut down twice since the
update. Perhaps it has something to do with the read-only status/update
by google this morning (7:30 AM PST).

To move things along, the copy that I was trying to post is below:

Identifying Key Business Risks

Does this application pose any risk to corporate reputation, corporate
relationships with partners, vendors and regulators, proprietary
planning or corporate data? How does your application expose you to
these risks? Enumerate the specific risks associated with each component
in the application, and given the risk level, is it necessary to the
application? At this point, components are just descriptions of
necessary parts of the application written in layman's terms to be
understood by all participants.

This discussion should include all stake holders, not just developers
and IT, to get a well-rounded perspective before dealing with the
technology aspect. To start:
   # identify stake holders
   # brainstorm
   # aggregate perceived risks
   # evaluate risk/reward profile for the application

With the component list complete, calculate the ASVS level of security
needed for each.
[http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Application_Security_Verification_Standard_Project
ASVS (OWASP Application Security Verification Standard)] provides
provides a basis for testing application technical security controls, as
well as any technical security controls in the environment, that are
relied on to protect against vulnerabilities.

Whenever the site is working properly again, I'll post it.

Ken

--
Ken Owen
Edward Owen Company