[Owasp-guide] Participating in the project

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 21:28:09 EDT 2010

Tom Stripling wrote:

> I’d like to drop in my two cents here.  I think having “co-leaders” is a
> very bad idea.  This has nothing to do with my opinion of Anurag or
> Vishal; I’m sure either one would do a great job if they had the time.
> But in my experience with these types of community-driven projects, if
> two people try to share the load, often nothing gets done.  The job of
> project leader is very time-consuming and requires someone to always be
> responsive and constantly be driving the project forward.  It’s like
> herding cats.  No matter how many people you get who are willing to
> squeeze “co-leadership” into their schedule, it isn’t going to work
> unless you have one person who is willing to commit a large chunk of
> time to leading the project and ensuring that things get done.
>
> So if someone feels that can take that on, please speak up, but I will
> vote against any “co-leadership” arrangement.

I think that while there is some truth to this, I think it is overly
simplistic. I think it greatly depends on the temperament and style
of the leaders. If their temperament and styles mesh, than things
will go well. If there is an egotistical oneupmanship involved,
it will crash and burn.

So I say that we take and chance an chance and go with Anurag and
Vishal as co-leaders unless some single individual steps up and
volunteers within a couple of days.  Better 2 leaders, even if things
do not go perfectly, than no leader at all.

Oh, and by the way...herding cats is not so difficult. Speaking as an
owner of 6 cats, all it takes is pulling a sock drenched in tuna oil
and they'll follow you wherever you go! ;-)

-kevin
---
Kevin W. Wall
We cause accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME