[Owasp-guide] requesting assignments

Timothy McGuire tim.e.mcguire at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:45:27 EST 2008

I have some of the session management section rewritten.  Notes below.

1.  The ASDR for session management is blank.  Should I link there anyway?
2.  I included a paragraph about cryptographically strong session IDs and
appropriately large keyspace and character sets.  I put it under the "Only
Use the framework's session manager" section.
3.  I included a section for "Associating Session Information With IP
Address" as stated in the version I am replacing.  I don't see any ESAPI
code that does this?
4.  When we have items like "make idle time-out as low as practical" The
guide seems to avoid making any concrete recommendations.  Are we giving
guidance for how to come up with these numbers?
5.  Does ESAPI have a handler that logs and / or defends against multiple
attempts to continue a session based on an invalid session ID?  I've been
looking for uses of isRequestedSessionIdValid.  If it doesn't exist, I'd
like to write some sample code for this, if this be deemed valuable.
6.  I added section about "validate session IDs that come from client"
7.  Should we keep the Cold Fusion section?
8.  In reading about logging session IDs, Instead of finding out how not to
log them, I'm finding lots of advice about how to log session IDs for
debugging purposes.    For example:
http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=64&t=001675.
Should the guide come out strongly against this practice?
9.  Copied section about Page and Form tokens from existing guide.  Does it
belong here?