[Owasp-guide] Follow-up on continuing to OWASP guide

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Thu Apr 24 11:31:50 EDT 2008

Blake,

Yes, but I'd really like help!

The chapters themselves have good headings, so I don't want to lose
those, but we need to change how the material is presented from a
mixture of attacks, what not to do, and what to do, to simply being
"What YOU have to do well for a secure application", and very little
else.

For each control, the outline needs to be re-done:

HEADING - Good description of the control
Intro text - what the control is
How important this control is based upon the value of the application
(high, medium and low)
How ESAPI does it as a textual description... and how to use that
ESAPI feature in your code (code snippets in PHP, J2EE and .NET)
... or if it doesn't, what to you need to do well
Why it is important to do this - a bullet point list of attacks,
hyperlinked to the Top 10, Testing or Code review Guides in the OWASP
Wiki

Here's a worked example, using "Display a last login notification"

4.1.1 Display a last login notification

Users are an important part of your application's security. A last
login banner should be displayed to the user at the least once after
the user has logged in. The control should be easy to understand for
an average user. If users can see when the application thinks they
last logged in, the users should notice if someone has logged into the
application more recently than they remember. In concert with a simple
to use "Contact Us" or "Report a Problem" button or link nearby, they
will report issues and thus provide a simple detection control.

This control is important for high and medium class applications, or
any application that has a need for accountability.

ESAPI does not implement this feature, so it will be necessary to
store the date and time of the last activity or login in the user's
record, and present that in your application.

The following attacks are reduced in severity by this control:

Session hijacking resulting in a complete account compromise
Stealing of credentials
Brute force attacks against credentials

Obviously, this is much shorter than what we have today. It's a "what
to do" action item that is easily understood and implementable by
architects/designers/developers - which are the Guide's core audience.

There might be a few items of what not to do. It's important to tell
people some things are security nightmares, but I don't want this
section to dominate any chapter. For example, in Authentication, the
what not to do would include questions and answers, like this:

4.2.1 Ineffective or Dangerous Mechanisms

The following mechanisms should never be implemented in any application:

Questions and Answers. Some questions may not be collected as they
refer to other people who may still be alive (such as Mother's maiden
name), and thus in many countries with strict privacy laws will
require the other person's permission prior to collection. Some data
may not be collected as it could be against the law or be strictly
regulated, such as government IDs such as SSN, driver's license or
passport numbers. Some questions are easily guessable (such as closed
questions such as what is your favorite color). Some questions will be
public record (such as the street where you first lived is found as
part of the birth certificate held by Birth, Marriage and Death
registries, or Hillary Clinton's mother's maiden name is Howell). Many
folks use social networks and blogging extensively, and so some
questions will never have a private answer, even if the data is up on
the Internet only for a short time. As this questions and answers
recovers access to an account, it is a username and password analog.
Most IT security policies require one way encryption of passwords, and
such it is likely that answers will have to be one way encrypted, and
thus will not be visible to help desk personnel, and be difficult to
get capitalization and punctuation correct unless the answer is a
single word. As such, this mechanism is simply insufficient to protect
the average person's account and should never be used.

Thanks,
Andrew

On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:36 AM, blake at electronicrealm.com wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I heard you have picked up the ball on the guide. Thank you.
>
> Wanted to help out. Not sure who has been assigned what. But can you
> steer me which section you need to help the most on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blake

thanks,
Andrew van der Stock
Lead Author, OWASP Guide and OWASP Top 10