[OWASP-GUIDE] OWASP Guide 2.0a4 available

Chris Shiflett chris at shiflett.org
Tue Feb 15 18:17:20 EST 2005

--- Andrew van der Stock wrote:
> I've uploaded a new version of the Guide. Sorry, I've been a bit busy
> to incorporate all the feedback, but that will be done soon.

Apologies in advance if this is part of the feedback mentioned, but...

The guide makes the following recommendation:

--
A naive brute force attack will not fill in the referrer header correctly.
If your application has only a specific path or domain from which your

For example, if login.jsp can only be invoked from
http://www.example.com/index.jsp, the referrer should check that the
referrer is this value.
--

I think this is a poor recommendation. Because Referer is so trivially
spoofed, there aren't many "naive" attacks that will be thwarted. Worse,

Has this been discussed? My apologies if it has.

Chris