[OWASP-GUIDE] Status of the Guide v2

ray stirbei me at highentropy.org
Sun May 9 04:40:34 EDT 2004

I agree with you guys that .NET and Java are most widely used in the
commercial world as PHP and (still) Perl on the open source world. I like
Adrian's suggestion about having a section to tie them together and provide
some context.

Although its worthwhile to address to each language at its usage/syntax level,
we should also look at these as platforms. I don't know any web development
project s that start with a language and build from scratch. PHP and Perl are
typically selected because of an application or script that is available and
that fits the need. The user roles are not the same: the language section
would speak to a developer/architect while a section on these languages as
platoforms would speak to an implementor/integrator or someone who can code
but whose interest is taking something that;s already written and customizing
it to the specific need.

I see a lot of value in a grand unifying section that gives an overview of
these languages, a high level list of strengths/weaknesses, and how they fit
into a web development project (as a platform/approach). This section could
also include cursory reviews of other approaches, from has-beens such as
coldfusion to up and coming like macromedia flash
( http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/29/13TCflex_1.html )

I'd love to help out with this section, but I have a history of signing up for
something and then my boss/workload disagreeing. If anyone would like to sign
up and take ownership, let me know and we can coordinate.

ray