[Owasp-google-hacking] [GPC] OWASP "Google Hacking" Project - Status - June 2010

Steven Steggles steven.steggles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 22:19:07 EDT 2010

Dear OWASP,

The source code that has been released is a single Perl script of 250 lines,
most of the code being comments. The code appears to do nothing besides
providing a command line interface to perform a Google cache query. Am I to
believe that this is the sum total of the famous Google Hacking Project?
>From what I understand of Christian's claims at various conferences across
the world, the following source code is still missing:

1. "Speak English or Die" Google Translate Workaround.
2. Google SOAP Search API "Key Ring" Workaround.
3. "TCP Input Text" Proof of Concept (PoC) which implements the Google SOAP
Search API to extract TCP Ports from Google Search Results as input for nmap
and netcat.

Christian claimed to have released this source code at Ruxcon in November
2008....

It appears as though OWASP has chosen to not address this issue correctly
and bury its head in the sand.Perhaps in the naive hope that this problem
will quietly go away. What a disgrace! The OWASP Google Hacking project
appears to have been solely created as a vehicle for Christian's own self
promotion! I am ashamed to be associated with such an organization that
turns a blind eye to this highly inappropriate behavior. What a disgrace!

I expect that you will moderate this message but I feel that the wider
security community should be made aware of this sham and lack of action on
OWASP's part.

I WILL NO LONGER BE PARTICIPATING IN OWASP RELATED MEETINGS OR CONFERENCES.

Very disappointed,
Steven