[OWASP-FILTERS] Re: license for filters?

Christopher Todd chris at christophertodd.com
Thu Oct 31 01:20:09 EST 2002

Wow, I'm impressed with you guys!  Most discussions of the GPL vs. other OSS
licenses usually degrade into religious flame wars where every other email
begins "I am not a lawyer, but..."  :-)

You've pretty much summed up the relevant issues, so I'll just put in my
preference, which is for as liberal a license as possible for the Filters
library.  If we were going to vote, I'd have to say +1 to anything liberal
like the Apache/BSD, 0 on the LGPL, and -1 on the GPL.

If you GPL (or perhaps even LGPL) the Filters library, the only people who
will use it are OSS developers; businesses will not touch it because the GPL
scares the crap out of lawyers.  That really doesn't meet the goals of the
Filters project, or of OWASP in general, which is (as I understood it) to
help web application developers write more secure web applications.  Given
that the vast majority of web applications that really *need* good security
are ones written to support commerce (and thus, are almost always
closed-source), it seems to me that GPLing the Filters project would
seriously degrade its usefullness to the community.

Chris