[OWASP-FILTERS] Re: license for filters?

Alex Russell alex at netWindows.org
Wed Oct 30 18:56:48 EST 2002

FYI: I'm CCing the list on this now.

LGPL is probably a good choice for the filters, however we must reiterate to
users of the library that if they choose to use it, they MUST provide
access to the source of the library (not their own code) when they
distribute it. Also, "static linking" or "compiling in" filters code under
the LGPL would invoke the "viral" clauses, requiring that developers ship
source with distributed copies of their own code. Therefore, developers
will probably want to stick to dynamic linking (or inclusion in the case of
interpreted languages) against the filters lib.

 Asside from these 2 minor caveats, LGPL seems a good fit. The LGPL can be
viewed at:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php

Anyone else have thoughts on the topic?

--