[OWASP-ESAPI] Does DefaultEncoder handle UTF-8?

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Tue Mar 31 14:01:29 EDT 2009

Hi Lei,

ESAPI is configurable, but defaults to using UTF-8 everywhere it can.  Can
you let me know a little more about your issue?  Are you posting with a
normal form?  What encoding?  How are you getting parameters from the
request?  Is it a simple request.getParameter()?  Do you change the request
encoding?  Can you verify that the parameter is not getting encoded by
something else, either before or after your ESAPI call?  Some JSP components
encode their data before posting.  How are you outputting the user data?

Thanks!

--Jeff