[OWASP-ESAPI] Using Other Authenticators

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Thu Mar 19 08:53:34 EDT 2009

+1 vote for no factories.

Although PHP can re-create the Factory design pattern, PHP doesn't
actually have the OO richness to support the Adapter, Factory and
Decorator patterns properly without lots of fancy footwork. There's
just no bonus for doing it, and lots of performance negatives.

No matter how nice it would be to use fancy OO patterns to make the
library less likely to be hand hacked directly, in PHP, it's always
simpler to use:

require_once($yourClassGoesHere);

than to create any of these fancy patterns.

Please - more simplicity!

thanks,
Andrew