[OWASP-ESAPI] Abort this list!

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 23:40:10 EST 2009

Jim Manico wrote:
> Ok ESAPI developer crowd. This is an official call to abort this list.
>
> Please move the main ESAPI developer/Java conversation to
> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/esapi-dev - see you there.
>
> If you are so kind, please sign up for
> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/esapi-user also. Let's not be
> overly aggressive in forcing folks to post to the right list, but as our
> project gets larger - we may need to start doing just that.
>
> Also, I modified ...
>
> http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Enterprise_Security_API
> and
> http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Enterprise_Security_API#tab=Java_EE
>
> ... to point folks to the ESAPI-dev or ESAPI-user list where appropriate.
>
> Please let me know if you spot any legacy references to the "old"
> OWASP-ESAPI list.

Jim,

A few logistical things...

1) I suggest that you save the archives from the old OWASP-ESAPI list under one
   of the new one lists. There's a lot of history there that I would not want to
   lose. Since I've been involved,most of the posts have been development
   oriented so I'd like to suggest move the existing archives to the new
   owasp-dev list if I may. I search this archive frequently and I'm not sure
   if other mailing list archive sites (e.g., Nabble) also archive this (old)
   ESAPI list or not.

2) Possibly set up a email alias so that any future sent to
	<owasp-esapi at lists.owasp.org>
   is directed to the new OWASP Users list at <esapi-user at lists.owasp.org>.
   That should handle everything nicely until everyone makes the switch. After
   a certain time (say a month?), you can remove the alias.
   Exactly how you do this depends on what MTA that lists.owasp.org is using.
   (I only know how to do it for sendmail so don't ask me unless that's what you
   are using or I'll just have to give you the stand-by RTFM response. ;-)

3) I would encourage ESAPI developers to also sign up for the ESAPI Users list
   so that we can keep a pulse on what the ESAPI Users are thinking. Also if we
   do this, users won't feel compelled to cross-post (like I'm doing now).

-kevin
--
Kevin W. Wall
We cause accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME