[OWASP-ESAPI] Shameless Blog Plug

Chris Schmidt chrisisbeef at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:26:54 EDT 2009

I am torn on this - mainly because providing such a method on an API
interface really leaves the door open for some REALLY bad implementation
code if someone brews their own implementation to the API method.

Also, it really doesn't by definition enforce the fact that lock objects
need to be final. I thought for a split second about suggesting a method
that handled synchronization for you, performSafeOperation() but even that
isn't really good in practice, and also has risk for failure since
parameters are passed by value, not by reference.

I would love to hear what everyone else thinks on the matter tho. Perhaps I
am being too much of a purist in my thinking here.