[Owasp-egypt] How to participate

Ahmed Mekkawy ahmed at linuxawy.org
Tue Jul 6 04:54:09 EDT 2010

ٍHi Guys,

I've been inactive here for .. hmm.. well lots of time.. I'm mainly
interested in servers/network security but of course webapps security is as
important.

If there's a meeting i'll be interested to join isA.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Hamdy Abdel-Badeea <hamdy.a.farag at gmail.com
> wrote:

> OK, sounds good
>
> But still we'll get a problem because of the lack of people and because me
> and Sherif are just newbies in web security.But I think we can help though.
>
> We can meet and discuss
>

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Nadim Barsoum <barsoum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree. We should meet and agree on a plan for the Egyptian chapter,
>> there is a lot of room for us to grow and tons of people to reach out to.
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 7:55 AM, omar.sherin at infosec2.com <
>> omar.sherin at infosec2.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Gents
>>>
>>> Thanks for opening a topic for discussion, The last time I checked the
>>> OWASP egypt list had about 12 members.
>>>
>>> If i may propose a topic as well , its the need to start a chapter
>>> meeting...this is the only way we can get the community more into it.
>>>
>>> BTW in all the 100+ OWASP chapters worldwide only 10-15 are the active
>>> ones..usually in the big capitals. The only active chapter in the region is
>>> israel's ( more than 2000 members, mostly university students)
>>>
>>> The only chapter meeting we had so far was in 2008 in alexandria and we
>>> had about 18-20 attendees. A meeting place in cairo or alex is no issue at
>>> all, its the speakers...so if you are interested lets share our
>>> presentations ideas and come up with an event program.
>>>
>>> back at you.
>>>

>>>   On Jul 6, 2010, at 6:50 AM, Nadim Barsoum wrote:
>>>
>>>   Hi Mostafa, Hamdy and Sherif,
>>>     Nice to meet you all, I wonder how many more members exist on this
>>> list that would like to participate and liven up the group. To answer your
>>> question Sherif, I'm not so sure there is one set of steps. Mostafa Siraj (a
>>> member on this list) has put together a nice introductory presentation (
>>> http://mostafasiraj.blogspot.com/). And there are a number of books out
>>> there on the subject. I'd say really what it comes down to is knowing what
>>> to look for. The most basic application security issue arises from the fact
>>> that you never know what the user is going to throw at you, and, depending
>>> on what language you're programming in and the context (meaning, is it a web
>>> app, is it a thick client app, is it a driver?), those could be different
>>> things. What do the rest of the list members think?
>>> Regards,

--
-----
Ahmed Mekkawy