[Owasp-education] Training formats

Daniel Bosk daniel.bosk at miun.se
Thu Apr 3 21:14:20 UTC 2014

On Thu Apr 3 19:30:08 2014, Dan Cornell wrote:
> OK, this the right list for discussing training formats?
>
> As I mentioned on the leaders list, I'm looking at creating ZAP
> training resources.
> They will, of course, be completely free and open source.

That's very good!  I'm giving some courses on security.  One of them is
on web application security, it's given yearly in autumn and is based on
mostly OWASP material.  I'd happily extend it by using your material and
contributing back to it.  I publish my own material openly too (slides
etc.), but as of now they're still in Swedish.  (I'm working on
translating it, so it may benefit the community at large too, but
unfortunately my time is too limited at the moment.  I intend to post to
this list whenever I'm done.)

> I was thinking of just producing a set of OO slides and documents which
> describe a suggested way of teaching various bits of ZAP functionality.
> But I've not really started this yet, so I can easily produce
> alternative materials.
>
> So ... I guess my question is:
>
> What recommendations do you have for an OWASP contributor who plans
> to produce a new modular set of open source training courses?
>

> Based on some discussion on the Leaders list and a suggestion from
> Erlend Oftedal I played around with this for a bit last night:
> https://github.com/gnab/remark
>
> Initial thoughts:
>
> Advantages:
> -Easy to version control – mostly text-based
> -Easy to collaborate (via version control)
>
> Disadvantages:
> -Content production tools aren't as advanced as Powerpoint or similar
> (you basically have to make slides in Markdown)

I'd rather put my effort into writing the slides in LaTeX.  That way
you'll have your advantages of text based (especially if you use EPS
figures too), and be rid of the disadvantages.  There has been many
packages developed for LaTeX over the years, so you'll definitely find
anything you could possibly need already developed.

The resulting slides are in PDF (or PostScript) format, so they'll scale
perfectly between screens and will always look correctly (unlike HTML,
CSS, ..., in the case of remark).

Regards,

Daniel Bosk
Lecturer of Computer Engineering

Department of Information and Communication Systems
Mid Sweden University
Holmgatan 10, room L433
SE-85170 Sundsvall
Sweden