[Owasp-delhi] Please clarify

Gunwant Singh gunwant.s at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 11:44:34 EST 2009

Both are independent of each other. An application may be vulnerable to one
of the attacks but not the other at the same time.

For a CSRF attack, an application does not need to be susceptible to XSS
attack. Often, to execute an XSS attack, one needs to include a script in
the context of the application. So if you can incorporate some scripting you
can execute XSS. Although there are many variations to this, which is
another story. For CSRF, one needs to execute code (not necessarily a
script)  in the authentication context of the user that changes the state of
the application. For example: Changing password, transfering money from his
a/c to the attackers, etc.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any further clarification is required.

Regards,
Gunwant

--
Gunwant Singh