[Owasp-delhi] FW: Reg. exploits.

Singh, Gunwant [OS-IE] GUNWANT.SINGH at saic.com
Wed Jul 2 00:21:54 EDT 2008

That's interesting...
Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kamat, Jitesh [mailto:Jitesh.Kamat at gs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:17 AM
To: Singh, Gunwant [OS-IE]; Owasp-delhi at lists.owasp.org
Subject: RE: [Owasp-delhi] FW: Reg. exploits.

"so I don't think zero days are available even if you pay"

: -) Jitesh Kamat

... An interesting article discussing the economics of 0-day exploit
research.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/470

The main finding of the article. One or more of the following conditions
exist:

- According to the market prices for 0-day exploits, the security risk
from 0-day vulnerabilities is vastly overestimated,

- According to IT risk models, vulnerabilities are completely
underpriced, or

- Most 0-day developers lack basic negotiation skills.

Recent public transactions for exploits (from
http://weis07.infosecon.net/papers/29.pdf)

Some exploits, $200,000 - $250,000

Significant, reliable exploit, $125,000

Internet Explorer, $60,000 - $120,000

Vista exploit, $50,000

Weaponized exploit, $20,000-$30,000

ZDI, iDefense purchases, $2,000-$10,000

WMF exploit $4000

Microsoft Excel, $1200

Mozilla, $500

To: Singh, Gunwant [OS-IE]; Owasp-delhi at lists.owasp.org
Subject: RE: [Owasp-delhi] Reg. exploits.

Greetings Gunwant,

Good to see you back in action!! As you have already got few good
here. But I would certainly like to participate in this thread.

How would you know that you are running out of exploits? Do you see,
there have been numerous vulnerabilities published on the
internet/non-disclosure channels or transferred via
IRC/contacts/pre-published advisories to your knowledge these days, at
fast pace than expected? If you rely on published vulnerabilities, and
if administrators have fixed those vulnerabilities by applying the
patches then you have no option but to wait for administrators to commit
yet another mistake (I am sure, they do care for security
auditors/attackers to have some fun with the company resources :-) ).
Even if not, you would still find numbers of servers on the wild
available, un-patched for MS03/04/05-00X vulnerability and tons of
IIS/Apache servers those are vulnerable to old time attacks. Don't be
surprised if I say that during a recent pen-test assignment, we found
MS02-018 vulnerability in a live web server for some reputed and well
known company (obviously, can't disclose the name of client to avoid
making you jump out of your chair). Seems to be funny, ain't it? But,
welcome to India!!! Lot of effort is still required to make the
community know the risk of hosting vulnerable resources to wild wild web
(www). There are still lots of reputed websites those are running with
information disclosure vulnerability (no exploit needed, hah!), where
the available information is worth few bucks, if not million dollars!!!
I don't run/promote any shop in a Nehru Place though :-)

Network based attacks could vary due to variety of architectures
available today, so gathering good amount of standalone exploits for
every architecture would be a tough job and hence, we can rely on known
tools like metasploit/coreimpact those have almost all (If not all, then
many) variants of known exploit codes with options to inject shell codes
of your choice. Along with this, there are others web resources to
standalone exploits and those have already been mentioned in earlier
replies to your query, there could ofcourse be lot more those you could
hit at. I used to maintain a list of exploit links when I used to work
as a security researcher, but I have not used these links from ages (may
be from past 4yrs) so am not sure how many of those links still work, so
excuse me if none of those work for you. But anyhow, I have pasted those
links next to my signatures.

For application based exploits, it is already been said that cheat
sheets + fuzzer works far better than relying on collection of exploit
codes. Refer to old HD Moore's style of writing a small fuzzer, where he
could find more than 50 flaws in Internet Explorer :-) (I love Microsoft
for increasing employment for malware/security researchers/attackers.)
Application based attacks are mostly driven due to functional +
technical faults, and can mostly be observed by humans rather than
automated exploit framework/tools. Finding variants for application
based attacks is far easier coz all programmers can't think alike and
can't think of delivering secure code every time coz their companies
teach them for delivering functional code, both for clients and
attackers :-)

Hope helps!

Many Thanks,

Dhruv

DISCLOSURE: All my views are personal and have not been under any
influence/gain/threat by any organization or individual :-)

Here we go with my old (old could be gold or a trash for you, not sure)
collection!

http://nvd.nist.gov/

http://exploits-lab.info/index.php

http://www.securityforest.com/wiki/index.php/Category:ExploitTree