[OCC] (today at 2pm GMT) Fwd: Conference Call OWASP-ENISA

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Tue Feb 23 08:17:08 EST 2010

Hey OCC (OWASP Connections Committee)

Please see below a request from Shankar (who works for Cisco) about his
possible participation at the forthcoming SecureCloud conference in
Barcelona.

I think that it is critical for OWASP and OCC that we make this type of
connections, and although Cisco is not able to cover Shankar expenses, the
fact that he is able to go is already a big gain for OWASP (& in some ways
it is Cisco's way of supporting OWASP).

So, the question is how we do this:

   - The $3000 is quite a high value when compared with the normal travel
   support that OWASP has given in the past. But since OWASP does have the
   money, the key is in finding a way that this is easily understood by the
   community.

   - In terms of where the money could come from, we can be creative and
   'draw' the money from a couple pots:
      - OWASP on the Move funds
      - OWASP Connections Committee (we don't official have a budget (yet)
      but we could take 'ownership' or part of this cost for example $750)
      - OWASP Chapters. At last count the OWASP chapters had $46,944 USD on
      their local budgets (see
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p6IFyntQTi7t-yH-peiD8Aw) which
      means that we could try to make the case for a couple them to
support this
      trip (need to figure out what they get in return)
      - Another company interested in this topic who wish to be 'debrief' on
      the topic by an OWASP member
      - OWASP Board (could be use as the last point of finance to 'top-up'
      the final amount)

      - We need to make sure that we present this to the OWASP community, so
   for example Shankar and Colin, can you write up a quick overview of the plan
   and outcomes?
      - Can you Include the work you are already involved with
      - Another interesting question is "Are there other benefits for OWASP
      from this participation?"
         - Maybe you guys can write a number of blog posts about it
         - Create a number of PodCasts while you are there
         - Invite a number of key speakers from ENISA and this community to
         OWASP Conferences and Chapters
      - Are we able to organize an event, OWASP meeting, chapter training,
      or local presentation? (I'm assuming that neither Shankar or Colin are
      speakers at this event)

   - Not that this should be a problem, but, it would help on our case if
   Cisco was an OWASP member (http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership).
   Shankar is that something that you could help with in the future? (note that
   the current rules are that 40% of the 5,000 USD OWASP membership would to
   the a Project, Chapter or Committee chosen by the new member, so for
   example, the OWASP Cloud ‐ 10
Project<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Cloud_‐_10_Project>
(or
   OCC) could be beneficiary and then use that budget to pay for similar travel
   expenses)

Lets talk about this on OCC's call tonight (Shankar or Colin, if you want to
join, ping Lorna (lorna.alamri at owasp.org) and she will send you the dial-in
details)

Dinis