[OCC] Fwd: [Owasp-leaders] Bring a Developer Goal for AppSec 2010 - Irvine, CA

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Aug 30 06:42:27 EDT 2010

Owasp leaders

I know we are close to the date, but I really like the idea that we bring as
many developers to the Irvine conference as possible.

For the next conference(s) we will make this idea much more official (with
guidelines and explicit workflows) but lets use the opportunity at hand to
try out the system.

There are two operational models here (both referenced in the email thread
below)

*Mode 1)* the local chapter uses the budget they have available ($56,266 at
of today <http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p6IFyntQTi7t-yH-peiD8Aw>)
to pay for the expenses of a local developer that they feel would benefit
the most from the conference and be able to push OWASP at his organization
(see Tony's email for details). There are also two projects that currently
have enough funds to also do this: Podcast $1,574.92 and Top 10
$2,000.00<http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p6IFyntQTi7t-yH-peiD8Aw>
)

*Model 2)* give the developers the ability to buy a discounted ($250)
conference admission ticket (see Tin's email). This idea was presented to
the Board and there were no objections, so the question is 'will it work?'
(Tin, I don't think you have sold any of these tickets, right?)

Tony has already found 2 developers from Atlanta that are going to attend
the conference (under Mode 1), but it would be good to have more cases
(since they will be great case studies for OWASP). Tony, can you add their
details to
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/AppSec_US_2010,_CA/Attending_Owasp_Leaders?
(so that we can track their participation and help them as much as we can)

An idea that is very dear to Robert Hansen's heart is the fact that we
(OWASP) should be also pushing hard to penetrate the QA community. I
completely agree with this (and during the OWASP/O2 tour I also got quite a
lot of feedback supporting it).

SO, if you want to replace 'developer' with 'QA' in this thread, you will
have my unconditional support :)

Thanks

Dinis