[OCC] OWASP and governments

Robert Hansen robert at sectheory.com
Wed Aug 11 14:13:09 EDT 2010

	Hey, Lucas - not to speak for OWASP as a whole, but we have spent quite a bit of time talking about Brazil in particular.  Most importantl, like Dinis said, Brazilian government had a very strong showing and we'd like to leverage that interest into better action on behalf of OWASP.  To be blunt and honest, we don't have a formal best practice built for dealing with governments, but I'd like to think that Brazil could be our foray into exactly that.

	A few ideas that we talked about were working with your government to define a set of best practices around quality assurance (including OWASP training for professional QA testers), and defining laws around how to build and test secure applications.  We could also use support for building better tools, methodologies and so on through appropriate funding.  There's really a lot here that we could do, so it all comes down to the appetite of volunteers on OWASP's side and what you think the government's appetite is to help as well.  I think we're certainly open to ideas.

	Again, I don't speak for all of OWASP, but I think this could be a great thing both for Brazil and OWASP.

Robert Hansen, CISSP
CEO -- SecTheory Ltd
Cell: (530) 521-2542