[OWASP-Columbia] Bug bounties and crowdsourcing

Frank Catucci frank.catucci at owasp.org
Mon Mar 7 20:43:42 UTC 2016

My 2 cents.

Bug Bounties, personally, I am usually a big fan. Bang for the buck for
both parties/sides. Disclaimer1: I make a few bucks on the side. One thing
I can say with platforms such as HackerOne and BugCrowd, is that the scope
is defined by you, but really must be accessible. As you mentioned, this
may be difficult in your case and I am not really familiar with a way to
get around this or work a program with that kind of scope. Perhaps you
could give a trial access somehow to researchers? If you had software
versions publicly accessible for download or access, I think you would have
much better results.

Another thing to be aware of is the time and resources dedicated to such a
program. If you have a company manage and triage your bugs it costs some $
for sure. If you want to manage and triage your own, then you are looking
at a lot of potential false positives and time. Either way you need to have
resources available to fix what is found in a timely manner. I have had
good luck personally with BugCrowd but Disclaimer2: is that I have a few
friends that work there. It may be worth a phone call to discuss with them
and see what their opinion is. Let me know if you need any contact info.

As for "good" cost effective appsec pentesting, that may be tricky but I
have worked with a few freelancers that were pretty good and not as
expensive as big firms. Availability is sometimes tough, but if you are
flexible and want some recommendations, just let me know.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Frank