[Owasp-codereview] Adding Salt?

Nam Nguyen namn at bluemoon.com.vn
Tue Mar 3 08:09:06 EST 2009

Hello Zaki

Salts are usually generated by the application, not by the users.

If salts were users' inputs, they would provide no more security than any other passwords.

So, salts are saved together with users' records and only the app knows about these salts. The app uses them in calculating salted password hashes.

Cheers
Nam

--
Nam Nguyen