[Owasp-codereview] [Owasp-ireland] OWASP Ireland - September 2009 Panel discussion

davidrook david.rook at realexpayments.com
Wed Jul 15 05:10:24 EDT 2009

For controversy dial C for Conor! :)

I have one as well: "The path to secure software does not start with
specific vulnerabilities".

I think anyone on the Irish mailing list will know I have been saying
since the release of the Sans Top 25 list earlier this year that I don't
think lists of vulnerabilities is the optimal approach to developer
education and ultimately secure software. We as software security
professionals are guilty of telling to developers to prevent a list of
vulnerabilities instead of telling to develop securely, yes I do feel
there is a difference here. Think of it this way, when you are learning
to drive does the instructor give you a list of ways to crash a car and
hope you figure out how to avoid all of those different ways of crashing
or does he teach you how to drive safely and within the rules of the road?

Everyone without fail in the application security community is guilty of
doing this yet we blame the developers when the applications are
insecure, are the security professionals not just as culpable for not
educating developers correctly? Whether it be the OWASP top ten, PCI DSS
Requirement 6.5 or companies offering secure development training they
all focus on a small set of vulnerabilities instead of focusing on a set
of secure development principles such as Input Validation, Error
Handling and Secure Communications.

Dave

David Rook | david.rook at realexpayments.com
Security Analyst

Realex Payments
Enabling thousands of businesses to sell online.

Visit our new website: www.onlinepayments.ie

Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/realexpayments

Castlecourt, Monkstown Farm, Monkstown, Co Dublin, Ireland
|t: +353 1 2808559 | f: +353 1 2808538  | www.realexpayments.com

1 Lyric Square, London W6 0NB
t: +44 203 1785370 | f: +44 207 6917264  | www.realexpayments.co.uk

27 avenue de l'Opéra, 75001 Paris.
t: +33 (0)1 70 38 51 37  | f: +33 (0)1 70 38 51 51

Visit our other Realex Payments websites:
www.airlinepayments.com
www.sepa.ie

Pay and Shop Limited, trading as Realex Payments has its registered office at Castlecourt, Monkstown Farm, Monkstown, Co. Dublin, Ireland and is registered in Ireland, company number 324929.

This mail and any documents attached are classified as confidential and are intended for use by the addressee(s) only unless otherwise indicated. If you are not an intended recipient of this email, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete all copies of this email from your computer system(s).