[Owasp-codereview] Code Review Guide: Update

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Fri May 30 18:12:06 EDT 2008

I've never been convinced that the ease of fixing should really be much of a
consideration when deciding what to work on first.  You don't really reduce
your risk by working on anything but the most critical problem.  Closing the
attic windows is easy, but it doesn't make you more secure if your front
door doesn't lock.

Also, as I think was pointed out previously, the ease of fixing varies
radically depending on the situation. Almost any weakness can range from a
few minutes of work to several months.  One of the reasons for ESAPI is to
reduce the effort of solving some of these problems, but even with ESAPI
there could be a significant amount of redesign and reimplementation
required for most flaws.

My vote is to keep this out of the rating scheme. There might be some
marginal value, but overall I think it does more harm than good.

--Jeff

--
Eoin Keary OWASP - Ireland
http://www.owasp.org/local/ireland.html