[Owasp-codereview] Code Review Guide: Update

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Fri May 30 16:21:06 EDT 2008

Hi Paolo,

>From a taxonomy perspective, I'd really like to try to stick to the basic
framework set out in the building and testing guides.  There are a zillion
ways to organize vulnerabilities - you can group them by principle, attack,
by control, by technical impact, etc... Check out the Mitre CWE if you want
to see what a mess this can be.

I believe the best way to organize them is by the control they are
associated with - authentication, access control, input validation,
encoding, logging, encryption, error handling, concurrency and so on...  By
sticking close to the associated control, we simplify the organization and
we have a chance of making everything pretty consistent.

Note: The OWASP ASDR project is creating the "Application Security Desk
Reference" which will contain a basic description of all of the principle,
threat agents, attacks, controls, impacts, etc... We're using the wiki to
link all of these so that people can browse the way they want, not by a
single-dimension rigid taxonomy.

--Jeff